Re: Win NT Versus Unix

From: Bruce Pihlamae <bpihlama_at_nla.gov.au>
Date: 1996/08/22

Bob Morningstar wrote:
> Your opinions please:
> Door #1: Windows NT 3.5x or 4.x (in the future) running Oracle.

Unfortunately, this is where it will all be happening for the next few years so its probably the choice to make. Easier to manage (supposedly) but less grunty. Soon to be 64bit on the Digital box.

> Door #2: Unix (whatever flavor Digital sells) and Oracle

Lots of raw grunt. Harder to manage. Have Digital 64bit unix now. I prefer this option.

> Door #3: SCO Unix on Intel (hell of lot cheaper) and Oracle

Not high on the port list so you don't get the latest bleeding edge technology (which may be a good thing).

> Door #4: Oracle for Novell on Netware 4.1 with SMP with Pentium
> Pro processors (at least 4).

Most of the stuff I've read show NT slowly but continuously wiping out Novell. Nice but what's its future?

Bruce...

--
   T T T T T T T T        Bruce Pihlamae