Re: Win NT Versus Unix

From: Michael J. Hillanbrand II <mjhii_at_pop.erols.com>
Date: 1996/08/22

Bob Morningstar wrote:

> Your opinions please:
>
> Given that the platform will be a Alpha 2100 or 4100 platform, the
> budget is not the issue (expecting 200-300K to be spent).
> Moving off of a creaky Novell 3.12/7.1.4 platform with a 12GB
> database, what would you do?
>
> Door #1: Windows NT 3.5x or 4.x (in the future) running Oracle.
> Door #2: Unix (whatever flavor Digital sells) and Oracle
> Door #3: SCO Unix on Intel (hell of lot cheaper) and Oracle
> Door #4: Oracle for Novell on Netware 4.1 with SMP with Pentium
> Pro processors (at least 4).
>
> Your opinions and rational please! Thanks for any insight you
> can provide.
>
> Bob Morningstar
>
> --
> Aluminum Rain is bad for your health.
> 40000 years is not that long.
> Why couldn't Bill and Ron been on the same flight?UNIX-
Digital will work best on ALPHA - you may even get somethings the rest of the world does not have stuff written for 64 bit -
and that is why digital.

UNIX - because that is the primary development platform for ORACLE server products.

Warning Ranting ahead --
I have heard all of the arguments about user friendly and all that... if you can't handle unix then ---- stick to your word processor and let real programmers handle the computer. I hear copy machines have awesome user interfaces for WIMPS!!!
Rant complete --

The real questions in my mind are:

   How much CPU & Memory (%) is devoted to the OS itself?    How efficient will the product interact with the OS?    Will the vendors partner and not just point fingers?    Will the Companies still be there in 5-10 years? Or am I portable    enough to not worry about it -- with Oracle it should always be yes.    Will I be embarrased to admit my choices to collegues next year?

Michael J. Hillanbrand II                            Dulcian, Inc.
                   Oracle Data Base Administration
Voice: 215-773-7307                           Fax:    610-277-2966
mailto://mjhii_at_pop.erols.com or mailto://mjh_at_salts.icpphil.navy.mil
              Delaware Valley Oracle Users Group, Inc.
                http://basement.sqrug.com/OUG/DEVOUG/
Contact me for Newsletter ads, articles, book reviews & Website Info.