Re: JDBC and Oracle

From: Bruce Geerdes <bgeerdes_at_igs.com>
Date: 1996/08/20

Greg Turner <gturner_at_hooked.net> wrote:
>The writer who originated this thread asked about JDBC. JDBC includes the
>JdbcOdbc.dll affectionately known as the JdbcOdbc bridge. I assumed that
>the writer when he referred to JDBC was referring to the complete
>package and to use the complete package, a Oracle ODBC driver is needed.

There are multiple ways to access a database from JDBC. One is to use a JDBC driver. Another is to use an ODBC driver via the JDBC-ODBC bridge.

>I am not sure what you mean by the term native JDBC-Driver? If you mean
>a dll that communicates directly between the java classes of JDBC and the
>database, then you are correct that is such a thing exists, it could be
>used. Such a solution bypasses the need the the JdbcOdbc.dll does it not?

Such a thing does exist. See WebLogic's web page.

>I don't know what you mean exactly by "for Oracle you don't have to use ODBC at all"
>ODBC is a specification that is the basis for the JDBC API, is it not?

The only reason I can see to use ODBC is if you do not have a good JDBC driver available. It just adds another layer (JDBC-ODBC bridge) to the whole process.

ODBC is the basis for JDBC but they're not the same thing.

--
bgeerdes_at_igs.com