Re: DBMS_PIPE Reliability

From: Louis Cohen <louiscoh_at_sprynet.com>
Date: 1996/08/20

I have used pipes in production applications where they get pounded by thousands of messages from batch processs tracking their progress.

Virtually all the messages sent to the pipe were inserted to our log table within one second.

We also use the pipe to issue O/S commands but not a very high volume.

You might consider having the pipe listener acknowledge each message to the sender; if the acknowledgement times out, have teh sending program log an error.

Regards

Robert Seward <sewardro_at_cps.msu.edu> wrote:

>On a project, I am working we need to shell out to Perl during the
>execution of a stored procedure. We have written a Pro*C daemon and
>a PL/SQL package to facilitate the coordination between Perl and PL/SQL.

>My question is, how reliable are Oracle Pipes? Can they withstand
>being pounded day after day with messages until the Database comes
>down for routine backups? We need this coordination between Perl and
>PL/SQL to be as reliable as possible. Can anyone comment on the pipes
>reliability?

>Please respond via email, in addition to a News post.

>Thanks,
>Rob

Regards

Louis Cohen
San Leandro, CA
louiscoh_at_sprynet.com Received on Tue Aug 20 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message