Re: JDBC and Oracle

From: Greg Turner <gturner_at_hooked.net>
Date: 1996/08/19

Konstantinos Agouros wrote:

> Greg Turner <gturner_at_hooked.net> writes:
>
> >Manfred Sturm wrote:

> >You are right that you need an ODBC driver (most likely from
> Why does he need an ODBC--Driver? If there is a native JDBC-Driver
> for Oracle you don't have to use ODBC at all.
>
> Konstantin
> --
> Dipl-Inf. Konstantin Agouros aka Elwood Blues. Internet: elwood_at_rumba.m.isar.de
> Otkerstr. 28, 81547 Muenchen, Germany. Tel +49 89 69370185
> "Treason, like beauty, lies in the eye of the beholder." Garak

The writer who originated this thread asked about JDBC. JDBC includes the JdbcOdbc.dll affectionately known as the JdbcOdbc bridge. I assumed that the writer when he referred to JDBC was referring to the complete package and to use the complete package, a Oracle ODBC driver is needed.

I am not sure what you mean by the term native JDBC-Driver? If you mean a dll that communicates directly between the java classes of JDBC and the database, then you are correct that is such a thing exists, it could be used. Such a solution bypasses the need the the JdbcOdbc.dll does it not?

I don't know what you mean exactly by "for Oracle you don't have to use ODBC at all" ODBC is a specification that is the basis for the JDBC API, is it not?

--
Greg Turner, Intelligent Software
Box 1506                                gturner_at_hooked.net