Re: Do sites actually install Oracle themselves ? What a nightmare...

From: Doug Smith <dsmith_at_gulfaero.com>
Date: 1996/07/19

In article <DuqEy4.Kzt_at_csc.liv.ac.uk> rkl_at_csc.liv.ac.uk (Richard Lloyd) writes:
>From: rkl_at_csc.liv.ac.uk (Richard Lloyd)
>Subject: Do sites actually install Oracle themselves ? What a nightmare...
>Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 09:13:16 GMT

>I got lumbered with installing an Oracle server and clients (Developer/2000)
>on our HP-UX systems here and I'm amazed at the incredibly poor documentation
>and general installation procedure, which includes:

What's shock's me is that is seems like several people are having serious problems with Oracle installations.

I do realize that not everybody has as much experience as their messages would suggest.

I have several HP and IBM Rs6000 servers running both HP-UX vers. 9 and vers. 10, and AIX. They run Oracle vers. 7.0.16 through 7.2.3 with various configurations along with in-house and 3rd party application software and I have not had that many problems with the installation process of Oracle itself.

There is a need for patches after it's up and running, but what software is perfect ? One of my biggest complaints is with the difficulty of finding out which patches that need to be applied. They need to clean up that process. They are too concerned that their competitors will find out about the problems they are having.

Some of the problems mentioned seem like those I experienced when I started working with Oracle, but experience has led me to relatively trouble free installations.

Interesting. Received on Fri Jul 19 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message