Re: Do sites actually install Oracle themselves ? What a nightmare...

From: Denice Deatrich <deatrich_at_hpopr9.cern.ch>
Date: 1996/07/19

rkl_at_csc.liv.ac.uk (Richard Lloyd) writes:

>I got lumbered with installing an Oracle server and clients (Developer/2000)
>on our HP-UX systems here and I'm amazed at the incredibly poor documentation
>and general installation procedure, which includes:

[most of nightmare deleted.. ]

>* No support for HP-UX 9.X with the latest Oracle Server release (7.3.2.1.0).
> We asked for 9.X CD-ROMs throughout and got a 10.X server CD-ROM and older
> (7.2) 9.X/10.X client CD-ROMs.

That's odd; I am using 7.2.3.0.0 on a 9.05 system.. Sounds like they gave you the wrong CDs.

>So am I alone in the universe in actually installing Oracle all on my own ?
>Do other sites call in an Oracle engineer at great expense to install it ?

Well, just to let you know that some of us install our own systems. My advice (if you haven't installed it before) is to install it a couple of times. It gets easier after about 3 attempts. I finally figured that the people who designed the install procedure just think differently then I do. Once I finally stopped making assumptions about what was happening during an install, it just got easier.. Well, except for OracleBook and the documentation. I got it to work, but I'm not sure if I could duplicate this feat..

Just remember.. practice, practice. Good luck!

--
denice.deatrich_at_cern.ch, Indiana University, OPAL Experiment, CERN
--> This moment's fortune cookie: