Re: Do sites actually install Oracle themselves ? What a nightmare...

From: W. C. Epperson <epperson_at_pen.k12.va.us>
Date: 1996/07/23

DuqEy4.Kzt_at_csc.liv.ac.uk> rkl_at_csc.liv.ac.uk (Richard Lloyd) writes:
> >From: rkl_at_csc.liv.ac.uk (Richard Lloyd)
> >Subject: Do sites actually install Oracle themselves ? What a nightmare...
> >Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 09:13:16 GMT

> >I got lumbered with installing an Oracle server and clients (Developer/2000)
> >on our HP-UX systems here and I'm amazed at the incredibly poor documentation
> >and general installation procedure, which includes:
>

> What's shock's me is that is seems like several people are having serious
> problems with Oracle installations.
>
> I do realize that not everybody has as much experience as their messages would
> suggest.

Hmpf. Well, then let me jump in. I've worked with Oracle products since late V4. Ran a 5.1b for OS/2 beta site, have installed v6 and up on Banyan, Novell, OS/2, a ton of *ixes, both client and server sides on various network topologies and protocol stacks. The Unix install packages are the worst I have ever seen for _any_ package on _any_ platform, and my first software install was on the C-MIT of HP's MPE in around '83. The installation support available to use poor paying lusers is almost as bad.

But, hey, if you think the core package is tough, just try Financials. We finally brought in an Oracle Corp. consultant for that. It was clear that he would never have gotten through it without a "magic" support phone number that got him to someone with a clue within minutes, first time every time.

Flame off. Just couldn't stand seeing Doug imply that folks with legitimate beefs are no-count resume-puffing whiners. What shocks me is that Doug seems to have had no problems. But then, some folks think they've finished writing a program when it installs.... (Darn! Thought I'd already put that thing out....)

These are my own opinions, but you can help yourself. Obviously, I've got a plenty.

regards,
j.
epperson_at_vak12ed.edu Received on Tue Jul 23 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message