Re: Permissions err when trying to launch oracle from user other than oracle..

From: Mike Morgan <mike.morgan_at_teldta.com>
Date: 1996/07/16

Dug Birdzell <dug_at_butterfly.net> wrote: (snip text)
>On our sys, (sparc 20/sol 2.5) user oracle can get into sqlplus fine;
>however, other users get denied access, apparently because of
>permissions..
>
>here's the output:
>iron:/export/home2/www/pub/sunspot/raw/dug 141% sqlplus spot/spot
>

>ERROR: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
>ORA-07320: smsget: shmat error when trying to attach sga.
>SVR4 Error: 13: Permission denied
>

>Yours,
>
>Dug Birdzell 1-202-237-1478
>Programmer, Systems Engineer, 3221 Connecticut, NW #502
>Systems Administrator Washington, DC
>http://www.butterfly.net/dug 20008

Dug,

This can be caused be a couple of things.

  1. Make sure the non-oracle users have their environment (ORACLE_HOME,ORACLE_SID) set correctly.

When anyone attempts to connect to the database, oracle looks for sgadef${ORACLE_SID} in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs. If either of those variables is not set, oracle thinks the database is unavailable.

2) Make sure the oracle kernel ($ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle) is owned by oracle and has the setuid bit turned on. We have the permission set to 6751 (rwsr-s--x).

This ensures that, when anyone attempts to write to/read from the database they can because the process is ultimately owned by oracle.

Hope this helps.

Mike Morgan
mike.morgan_at_teldta.com

TDS/CS Madison,WI
608-845-4661

#include <disclaimer.std> Received on Tue Jul 16 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message