Re: Permissions err when trying to launch oracle from user other than oracle..

From: Byron and Cherie Pearce <bpearce_at_csac.com>
Date: 1996/07/16

Mike Morgan wrote:

> Dug Birdzell <dug_at_butterfly.net> wrote:
> (snip text)
> >On our sys, (sparc 20/sol 2.5) user oracle can get into sqlplus fine;
> >however, other users get denied access, apparently because of
> >permissions..
> >
> >here's the output:
> >iron:/export/home2/www/pub/sunspot/raw/dug 141% sqlplus spot/spot
> >

> >ERROR: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> >ORA-07320: smsget: shmat error when trying to attach sga.
> >SVR4 Error: 13: Permission denied
> >

> >Yours,
> >
> >Dug Birdzell 1-202-237-1478
> >Programmer, Systems Engineer, 3221 Connecticut, NW #502
> >Systems Administrator Washington, DC
> >http://www.butterfly.net/dug 20008
> >

> Dug,
>
> This can be caused be a couple of things.
>
> 1) Make sure the non-oracle users have their environment (ORACLE_HOME,ORACLE_SID) set
> correctly.
>
> When anyone attempts to connect to the database, oracle looks for sgadef${ORACLE_SID} in
> $ORACLE_HOME/dbs. If either of those variables is not set, oracle thinks the database is
> unavailable.
>
> 2) Make sure the oracle kernel ($ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle) is owned by oracle and has the
> setuid bit turned on. We have the permission set to 6751 (rwsr-s--x).
>
> This ensures that, when anyone attempts to write to/read from the database they can because
> the process is ultimately owned by oracle.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Mike Morgan
> mike.morgan_at_teldta.com
>
> TDS/CS Madison,WI
> 608-845-4661
>
> #include <disclaimer.std>

I have also seen this error when the datatbase is not running. Make sure that the database instance is running. If so, follow Mike's suggestion above and check the environment variables. An incorrect ORALCE_SID could result in error messages that indicate the instance is not running.

Byron Pearce				E-Mail:  bpearce_at_csac.com
Systems Consultant			Web Site:  www.csac.com
Computer Systems Authority (CSA)	Dallas, Texas