Re: Delphi 2.0 vs. Powerbuilder 5.0

From: Michael D. Kersey <mdkersey_at_hal-pc.org>
Date: 1996/07/12

Rune Moberg wrote:

> In article <31DF5018.276B_at_hal-pc.org>,
> "Michael D. Kersey" <mdkersey_at_hal-pc.org> wrote:
> >f) My favorite: The article makes much ado about the Delphi "try" statement. Delphi has
> >been desperately "trying" to sell Delphi with this cure-all for years now. Here's some
> >code for you:
>
> Delphi is one and a half years old and is selling pretty good. Wanna compare
> sales figures with <giggle> "Power" Builder which has been available for,
> what, five years?
>
> >OK! That's all! I give up! It's really worth looking at mostly for laughs. For someone
> >to compile such a list really signals a desperate effort, I'm afraid. I don't know why
> >Borland would stoop so low. They must be in real trouble or have a very loose cannon
> >onboard their ship.
>
> And I'm very likely to belive that document. I attended a one day seminar
> at PowerSoft here in Norway last year (Delphi 1.0 had just been released),
> and quite frankly: What I saw there was close to garbage and couldn't hold
> a candle to the Delphi 1.0 preview *beta* that I had the pleasure of
> trying out. The compendium we followed to build a simple PB application
> (which took an awful lot of effort!) frequently stated "you should save now"
> and luckily we took that advice because PB did indeed crash often.
> I wonder if they hand out "Frequent Crasher" points?
>
> So, what I saw is hopefully not what you PB users are getting...
>
> >some years now. I always come away disappointed that the people attending are older than
> >me ( by about 10 years ), and I am no spring chicken! Every time someone asks a
> >question, someone else asks them to repeat it after they turn up their hearing aid. But
> >they're nice guys: they always have an ambulance waiting outside, in case someone gets
>
> Yeah, and we still manage to crank out faster, better and more powerful
> applications than PB developers!
>
> I'm 22, I doubt you'll find many PB users (I could stop the sentence here)
> younger than me.
>
> >All kidding aside, Folks, Delphi is probably an OK environment, but it's no PB killer!
>
> Technically it is. And the last time I checked, Delphi was way cheaper too,
> even including a subscription to Borland's Knowledge Base / support program!
>
> Remember: I can take my Delphi on the road, and make everything from
> a simple db app to the next Quake killer... Or even make a development
> tool with it (Delphi is made with Delphi). PB simply can't match that,
> just like it can't compete with Cindy Crawford in a dark room.
>
> --
> =\
> *=- R.Moberg, CD-Player Pro info _at_ http://www.sn.no/~mobergru/
> =/

Hi All,

Ah! Cheaper! Perhaps you have stumbled onto some sort of economic law! I see a Nobel prize in your future!

I'm sure your experience with PB is at least as good as your knowledge of Cindy Crawford - I have no doubt that you were in the room and that it was dark, but I don't believe Ms. Crawford was present.

Michael D. Kersey Received on Fri Jul 12 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message