Re: Delphi 2.0 vs. Powerbuilder 5.0

From: ray charbonneau <raycharb_at_teleport.com>
Date: 1996/07/12

[snip]
>>Haven't we already had this discussion about rates? And wasn't
>>there a quote that people are willing to be paid less so
>>they don't have to work with PB/VB and get to work on
>>Delphi instead!
>>
>>Personally speaking I am working in a mixed PB / Delphi environment
>>but we are about to make a decision to use a single tool and
>>if that tool is PB (5 or not) I will be seeking a different
>>employer.
>>
>>Euan Garden
>>--
>>[These opinions are my own and not those of my employer]
>
>I don't know anything about either product (I'm reading this in cdo),
>but I've heard that Power-Powerbuilder programmers skip the tools and
>just write the 4GL code. I was wondering if this were true?
>--
>Joel Garry joelga_at_rossinc.com Compuserve 70661,1534
>These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc. <> <>
>%DCL-W-SOFTONEDGEDONTPUSH, Software On Edge - Don't Push. \ V /
>panic: ifree: freeing free inodes... O
I have been using PB for years and have found that it is far from perfect. However, each release has been better than the previous. Release 5 is looking pretty hot. I also use Delphi 2.0. I do know of one large project being developed in Delphi and have received some input from the SEs. In looking at what they are doing and how Powerbuilder and Delphi compare, I must say that Delphi still cannot beat Powerbuilder for ease of building and maintaining large Client/Server applications. Also, industry acceptance of Delphi still seems to be in question. Delphi still ranks way behing VB and Powerbuilder in installed sites. Local courses on Delphi have been cancelled due to lack on interest. Also, recent Borland financial losses do not look good.

Also, lumping PB in with VB is like comparing apples and oranges.

Bottom line in my toolkit is: If I am building a standalone application with little or no remote database connectivity required, I choose Delphi.

If I am doing a large client/server application that will be developed and supported by a development team, I choose Powerbuilder.

I never choose VB.

have fun
ray charb

PS: My views and mine alone. Received on Fri Jul 12 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message