Re: Delphi 2.0 vs. Powerbuilder 5.0

From: Rune Moberg <mobergru_at_oslonett.no>
Date: 1996/07/12

In article <31DF5018.276B_at_hal-pc.org>, "Michael D. Kersey" <mdkersey_at_hal-pc.org> wrote:
>f) My favorite: The article makes much ado about the Delphi "try" statement. Delphi has
>been desperately "trying" to sell Delphi with this cure-all for years now. Here's some
>code for you:

Delphi is one and a half years old and is selling pretty good. Wanna compare sales figures with <giggle> "Power" Builder which has been available for, what, five years?

>OK! That's all! I give up! It's really worth looking at mostly for laughs. For someone
>to compile such a list really signals a desperate effort, I'm afraid. I don't know why
>Borland would stoop so low. They must be in real trouble or have a very loose cannon
>onboard their ship.

And I'm very likely to belive that document. I attended a one day seminar at PowerSoft here in Norway last year (Delphi 1.0 had just been released), and quite frankly: What I saw there was close to garbage and couldn't hold a candle to the Delphi 1.0 preview *beta* that I had the pleasure of trying out. The compendium we followed to build a simple PB application (which took an awful lot of effort!) frequently stated "you should save now" and luckily we took that advice because PB did indeed crash often. I wonder if they hand out "Frequent Crasher" points?

So, what I saw is hopefully not what you PB users are getting...

>some years now. I always come away disappointed that the people attending are older than
>me ( by about 10 years ), and I am no spring chicken! Every time someone asks a
>question, someone else asks them to repeat it after they turn up their hearing aid. But
>they're nice guys: they always have an ambulance waiting outside, in case someone gets

Yeah, and we still manage to crank out faster, better and more powerful applications than PB developers!

I'm 22, I doubt you'll find many PB users (I could stop the sentence here) younger than me.

>All kidding aside, Folks, Delphi is probably an OK environment, but it's no PB killer!

Technically it is. And the last time I checked, Delphi was way cheaper too, even including a subscription to Borland's Knowledge Base / support program!

Remember: I can take my Delphi on the road, and make everything from a simple db app to the next Quake killer... Or even make a development tool with it (Delphi is made with Delphi). PB simply can't match that, just like it can't compete with Cindy Crawford in a dark room.

--
=\
 *=- R.Moberg, CD-Player Pro info _at_ http://www.sn.no/~mobergru/