Re: OCI: several processes using one lda concurrently

From: Bill Manry - Oracle Corporation <bmanry_at_upsizeme.us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/07/09

David-Michael Lincke (dlincke_at_bandon.unisg.ch) wrote:
>Is it possible without adverse side-effects for several simulatenously
>executing processes to share a common connection to an Oracle server (i.e.
>common lda and hda structures). CCursor data structures are private to each
>process of course.

The lda has fields (e.g. return code) that are set on each OCI call. There is no mechanism for synchronizing access to these fields by multiple processes, and no way for a process to know whether the lda field it is examining was stored by its OCI call or by that of another process. That's just an application's-eye-view of the problem; the same issues apply to the structures we maintain internally beneath the lda. Even if you wrote your application so that the lda etc. were used serially (never by more than one process at a time) you will run into trouble. On some platforms (MVS is one), database connections are not allowed to migrate across processes for security/intergrity reasons.

/b

--
Bill Manry  -  Mainframe and Integration Technologies  -  Oracle Corporation
These are my opinions, not necessarily Oracle's.