Re: a comparison of different databases

From: <vanj_at_dircon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/07/08

Mark D Stock <marks_at_west.co.za> wrote:

>Adel Al-Shaikh wrote:
>> Hi There,
>>
>> When It comes to problems ask MS Access users, the Access community has
>> the largest number of problems to solve, and by studying there
>> behaviour, you can be sure that more traffic dose not mean more problems
>> to solve, because Access users have learned to be quite and inactive,
>> ALL BECAUSE OF PROBLEMS!!!!!
>>
>> Well, the serious part is that in my company, We have done a thourogh
>> comparison betwwen Oracle, MS Sql Server, and Informix. Informix is old
>> bulky technology, MS Sql Server is a joke, Oracle is the way for serious
>> developers database solutions (Full Stop)

>'old bulky technology'?? Which version did you evaluate... version 4.00?
>The Online engine has just been written from scratch, using all the latest
>multi-threaded technology. Take a look at version 7.20, then tell us Oracle
>is still the way to go!
>--

>Mark.

>+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>|Mark D. Stock - The West Solutions Group http://www.west.co.za |
>| |
>|Tel: +27 11 803 2151 |If it doesn't work... force it! |
>|Fax: +27 11 803 2189 |If it breaks... it needed replacing anyway! |
>|Cell: +27 83 250 2325 |Well, that's how I code anyway! |

I use DB2 for MVS, DB2 for OS/2, Oracle/NT and Oracle/HPUX. Out of these options, if you want fast development, functionality and multiplatform connectivity then Oracle is the way to go. If you want a robust, high performance, high availability database try DB2 for OS/2. If you want a robust, high performance, high availability, scalable system on which to run mission critical batch and online systems then you can't beat DB2 for MVS. As always, there is no one answer to these kinds of questions. It's like saying 'where is the best place in the world to go on holiday?' :-)

Cheers

Pete Received on Mon Jul 08 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message