Re: ORA-03113 Error

From: Radhika <radhika_at_cae.ca>
Date: 1996/07/05

In article <fongdaDtIMvn.6Gr_at_netcom.com>, fongda_at_netcom.com writes:
|> Hi all!
|>
|> I've been getting an "ORA-03113 => end of file on communication
 channel"
|> error. My DBA called tech support (which is what the manual says to
 do)
|> and they said usually it's a result of a cursor loop that's picking up
|> the wrong values or something to that effect. The code that this is
|> blowing up on has no cursors...
|>
|> Has anyone else seen this problem before? Any and all help is
|> appreciated.

We got the same problem when we tried to execute a query in the form. If you are using Oracle Forms Runtime (Windows), when you get the message, press <Shift-F1> and you will get more info about the error. For us it was 'Sort key too long'. We had a table with varchar(4) + a date field as the primary key. So by default the date field was indexed in ascending order. But in the Block property, we changed the order by clause to date descending. That was causing us this problem. It could also be that, you have many varchar(2000) fields in your table.

Oracle suggested to us that our DB_BLOCKSIZE was too small to handle the query. But DB_BLOCKSIZE cannot be changed & it is assigned at the time of creating a database. We did not want to do that. So we changed to Date ascending & the problem disappeared.

This problem is supposed to be fixed in RDBMS version 7.3. Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Radhika. Received on Fri Jul 05 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message