Personal ORACLE for Win31 gives 'stack overflow' -- advice sought

From: umask 077 <serge_at_panix.com>
Date: 1996/07/05

Hi there!

I have installed Personal ORACLE v7.1 for Windows 3.1 from ORACLE's CD on a Pentium/60 machine with 16M of memory but any component I'm trying to use (i.e. Database Manager, User Manager, SQL*PLus etc.) eventually produces a 'Stack Overflow' and hangs. It seems that at the same moment the database goes down, or at least becomes unavailable. Everything was installed through Uninstaller v3, including WIN32. In one of the readme files they mentioned that Microsoft Sound 2.0 was incompatible with ORACLE and was likely to cause stack overflow, so I disabled system sounds in Control Panel, unistalled everything, reset the swap file, ran scandisk and defrag, recreated a bigger swapfile and reinstalled ORACLE but the result was still the same. I must admit I'm not a big Windows pro (I'm a Unix guy) and since readme files and release notes don't have anything on troubleshooting any advice or suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
Serge Received on Fri Jul 05 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message