Re: a comparison of different databases

From: Mark D Stock <marks_at_west.co.za>
Date: 1996/07/04

Phil Edwards wrote:

> David Williams wrote:
> >
> > Phil Edwards wrote:

> > >Technically Oracle is ahead of the field. <SNIP>

> > What makes you say Oracle is ahead of the field??
>
> Short answer: er, pass. As an AS/400-oriented journalist I couldn't
><SNIP>
> Slightly longer answer: in my previous job I conducted an evaluation of
> Oracle against Sybase, Informix and Ingres (not DB2); Oracle came out way
> ahead. <SNIP>

Mmmmm. This sounds like the product of a marketing whirlpool to me. The independant analysts say Informix are TWO years ahead in the market. So to use some Informix marketing, they say that if these so called analysts are 50% WRONG, then ONE years lead in this market puts Informix well ahead.

Now from my point of view I can only speak as a techie, and I say Informix are way ahead technically. I was also involved in an evaluation of Oracle and Sybase against an existing Informix site. The site stayed with Informix because we simply couldn't replicate the functionality of the applications. Okay, this was about 7 years ago, but even so!

To me OnLine 7.10 is the ultimate database engine, but hey, I am only a techie!

--

Mark.

|Mark D. Stock - The West Solutions Group           http://www.west.co.za |
|Tel:   +27 11 803 2151  |If it doesn't work... force it!                 |
|Fax:   +27 11 803 2189  |If it breaks... it needed replacing anyway!     |
|Cell:  +27 83 250 2325  |Well, that's how I code anyway!                 |