Re: a comparison of different databases

From: Chao Y. Din <cdin_at_csc.com>
Date: 1996/07/04

Mark D Stock wrote:

> Phil Edwards wrote:
> >
> > David Williams wrote:

> > > What makes you say Oracle is ahead of the field??
> >
> > Short answer: er, pass. As an AS/400-oriented journalist I couldn't
> ><SNIP>
> > Slightly longer answer: in my previous job I conducted an evaluation of
> > Oracle against Sybase, Informix and Ingres (not DB2); Oracle came out way
> > ahead. <SNIP>
>
> Mmmmm. This sounds like the product of a marketing whirlpool to me. The independant
> analysts say Informix are TWO years ahead in the market. So to use some Informix
> marketing, they say that if these so called analysts are 50% WRONG, then ONE
> years lead in this market puts Informix well ahead.

I guess I am a techie too, but I happen to be in charge of a multi-million project for a government agency. Based upon my suggestion, our client purchased 15 copies of Informix OnLine 7.x database servers and a couple hundred licenses for PC clients. All our applications are dealing with images in BLOB. All databases are ANSI standard databases with OLTP. We have one terabyte main database with 3 optical jukeboxes and 3 tape jukeboxes.

The first production sub-system was delievered over a year ago. The second sub-system has just been completed, the third sub-system (the last one) will be completed by April 1997. Our clients have been stated in many many occasions that they are extremely satisfied with our applications.

I hope it says all. Received on Thu Jul 04 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message