Re: char-mode terminal application of developer/2000

From: Robert Jones <rjj_at_dryland.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/06/24

giodah_at_ms1.hinet.net (Tab Liao) wrote:

Tab,

We have just got the character version of 4.5 running on SCO Unix after a *lot* of hassle and have just started to port down forms from Windows.

When running in character, all the processes are running on the server. It was recommended to us that Forms 4.5 was loaded into a seperate Oracle HOME directory - it then communicates to the database on the same server via SQL*Net so it acts like a client server but is on the same machine.

There is probably a run-time available for Unix machines but whether this is just the f45run executeable out of the forms install I don't know.

If you are thinking of developing on Windows or Motif and deploying on character, you have a lot of work ahead (as we are finding out). See if you think the windows widgets are rendered ok in character mode.

If the forms originated on Forms 3.0 before going into windows, you have to look out for things like the fields being widened and the restrictions on program unit libraries.

As far as we can see, there is practically NO information about this anywhere - we have had to figure almost everything out for ourselves.

It's all good fun though.

>Hi, every :

>Listed below was abtracted from Oracle documents about
>developer/2000's portability.
>"Portability and global deployment are trademarks of Oracle's
>products,and Developer/2000 is no exception. Build your applications
>using Microsoft Windows, Apple Macintosh, or Motif, and deploy them in

>any of these environments or on character-mode terminals."

>Now I have some questions:

>1. How the applications deployed to char-mode terminal ?
> Where is the developer/2000 process running ?
> (since it's char-mode terminal , so the process should not
> be running at the terminal ?)
> Is there any implies that there is developer/2000 run-time version

> under Unix or other O.S. ?

>2. Should we develop application on Ms-windows/Motif/Mac before we
> deploy it to char-mode terminal ?

>3. Anywhere we can get further information ?

> Any message /reply will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>Tab Liao.
>giodah_at_ms1.hinet.net
>tel: 886-2-7652472-163
>fax:886-2-7666562

Robert Jones (rjj_at_dryland.demon.co.uk) - DBA, Developer/2000 Kalamazoo ANSWER Limited - an Oracle BAP ANSWER Open Systems Applications