Re: Forms Character Mode

From: Robert Jones <rjj_at_dryland.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/06/24

Michael Kustermann <MKUSTERM_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>I am interested in running a form designed in a Windows environment
>and then running in character mode in a Unix environment.

>If anyone would like to share their experiences and has any advice
>on how to implement this functionality, I would appreciate it.

>Michael Kustermann

Creating forms to run in character mode and windows is not an insane thing to do as there are many thousands of users of character terminals who still want to work.

We have converted our Forms 3.0 app (1600 forms) to Forms 4.5 to run in both character and windows from the same code. The main things to look out for are;

  • Work in character cell co-ords with canvas's and windows to match the screen size of a terminal.
  • Allow for extra space around the fields and widgets
  • Most windows controls work well - except buttons which are very hard to navigate to.
  • Make sure validation works equally well on key triggers as well as mouse navigation
    • Obviously, do not use any windows features such as OLE and VBX's - or turn them off for character mode.
  • Menus do not look good

If you need any more info, send me a message

Robert Jones
Kalamazoo ANSWER Limited
rjj_at_dryland.demon.co.uk
Robert Jones (rjj_at_dryland.demon.co.uk) - DBA, Developer/2000 Kalamazoo ANSWER Limited - an Oracle BAP ANSWER Open Systems Applications