Re: ODBC vs SQL*Net

From: Doug Smith <dsmith_at_gulfaero.com>
Date: 1996/06/12

In article <DsuHq1.536_at_falcon.daytonoh.ncr.com> Mike Gold <Michael.Gold_at_DaytonOH.NCR.Com> writes:
>From: Mike Gold <Michael.Gold_at_DaytonOH.NCR.Com>
>Subject: Re: ODBC vs SQL*Net
>Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 16:56:25 GMT

I thought these companies provided supposedly faster ODBC drivers, not replacements for SQL*NET.

I have seen refrences to other companies products that do replace SQL*NET.

Unless there is a STRONG benefit, I will stick with Oracle.

BTW, Oracle pricing has changed. SQL*NET is now included with the RDBMS. It is no longer a seperate chargable item. Maybe this is a move because of competition ?

>What about the VMARK or VISIGENIC products which are supposed to
>be able to replace SQL*Net on both the server and client.
>Anyone have any performance stats on these? I've downloaded
>some of the documentation from the WEB sites, but haven't yet
>looked at the software.

>Mike
>>==========Dave Heissner, 6/7/96==========
>>
>>Comparing ODBC to SQL*Net is an Apples to Oranges situation...
>>you should be comparing
>>ODBC to a direct OCI connection. Either way you will still need
>>SQL*Net running on the client and
>>server side. A larger number of tools can use ODBC while OCI
>>implementations are usually written
>>by a vendor for a specific tool (such as PowerBuilder
>>Enterprise). Generally OCI has given better
>>performance too but I think a number of ODBC drivers for Oracle
>>have come out which may be changing
>>that.
>>
>>Any additional thoughts on this??
>>
>>Dave H.

 SQL*NEt is perferable.

 there is some server side ODBC stuff I forgot to