Re: ODBC vs SQL*Net

From: Jim St.Cyr <jstcyr_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1996/06/12

Mike Gold wrote:

> What about the VMARK or VISIGENIC products which are supposed to
> be able to replace SQL*Net on both the server and client.
> Anyone have any performance stats on these? I've downloaded
> some of the documentation from the WEB sites, but haven't yet
> looked at the software.
>
> Mike

Mike-

We are evaluating the OpenLink MT driver which provides its own Comm layer. After a few problems getting it running on our GIS 5.4 box running Oracle 7.2 all has been well. You can tune the driver so that it changes the connection characteristics for different users. Give it a look at:

http://www.openlinksw.com

-Jim

> >==========Dave Heissner, 6/7/96==========
> >
> >Comparing ODBC to SQL*Net is an Apples to Oranges situation...
> >you should be comparing
> >ODBC to a direct OCI connection. Either way you will still need
> >SQL*Net running on the client and
> >server side. A larger number of tools can use ODBC while OCI
> >implementations are usually written
> >by a vendor for a specific tool (such as PowerBuilder
> >Enterprise). Generally OCI has given better
> >performance too but I think a number of ODBC drivers for Oracle
> >have come out which may be changing
> >that.
> >
> >Any additional thoughts on this??
> >
> >Dave H.

 SQL*NEt is perferable.

 there is some server side ODBC stuff I forgot to