Re: Performance problem Forms 4.5

From: <dmoyer_at_gpu.com>
Date: 1996/06/11

In <4pe4nn$cmh_at_thor.wirehub.nl>, bkooiman_at_ibmc10.eniac.nl (Bas Kooiman) writes:
>Hi,
>
>I am testing a Forms 4.5 application. Performance is the biggest problem
>at the moment. Starting a new screen takes about 10 seconds. And also
>a query lasts a long time.
>
>I use the following configuration:
>
>RS-6000 with AIX 3.2
>Oracle Server 7.3.2 - I also tried Oracle 7.1
>SQL*Net V2 - I also tried SQL*Net V1
>Forms 4.5
>Pentium 75 with 32 Mb - I tried Windows 3.11 and Windows 95
>Ethernet 10 MHz
>
>The application uses a lot of database triggers and procedures.
>
>Can anyone help me with a method to improve the performance of
>this configuration?
>
>If possible reply also by E-Mail directly.
>
>Thanks in advance
>

>================================
> Bas Kooiman
> Tel : +31 (0)10 - 284 28 66
> E-Mail : bkooiman_at_elc.com

You seem to have two separate problems. The first one is typical with a new release of software. More is being done for you so it takes longer to bring up the initial screen (at least until the next release when they will have it fixed, ha ha).

The second problem deals with your query. Have you run an explain plan on it to determine how the optimizer uses the indexes? I found that if it seems slow in Forms, it is also slow in PL/SQL. Optimize the query and then put it in the FORM.

HTH

D. Scott Moyer, Jr.                        dmoyer_at_gpu.com (work)
GPU Service Corporation                dsmoyer_at_enter.net (home)
Reading, PA Received on Tue Jun 11 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message