Re: Performance problem Forms 4.5

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.CSUFresno.EDU>
Date: 1996/06/10

In article <4pe4nn$cmh_at_thor.wirehub.nl>, Bas Kooiman <bkooiman_at_elc.com> wrote:
>I am testing a Forms 4.5 application. Performance is the biggest problem
>at the moment. Starting a new screen takes about 10 seconds. And also
>a query lasts a long time.
>
>I use the following configuration: >RS-6000 with AIX 3.2
>Oracle Server 7.3.2; SQL*Net V2; Forms 4.5
>Pentium 75 with 32 Mb; Ethernet 10 MHz
>
>The application uses a lot of database triggers and procedures.
>
>Can anyone help me with a method to improve the performance of
>this configuration?

It sounds to me like you have a slow server, or it is being thrashed with all your triggers and stored procedures. Your client machine should be quite capable of handling the form, given the memory level. However, 75Mhz is a bit on the slow side by today's new pc standards.

The 10-second startup time for the form may be only for the initial startup of runform. Try calling another form from the first, or easier, have the form call itself (using New_Form). The time to call the second form is the time users will most often see. In this situation, the session is already logged in, and you don't have to wait for Runform to load.

HTH
Steve Cosner Received on Mon Jun 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message