Several Basic Oracle Questions

From: Mark W. McDonald <mark_mcdonald_at_msn.com>
Date: 1996/06/10

I'm an experienced developer of database apps using such tools as Visual Basic, Access, FoxPro, and others. I'll be bringing in Oracle running on Windows NT in a couple of months. I have a few basic questions that I'd like ask...

  1. Let's start with the basic communications setup (I'm not a networking wiz). We're a Netware 4.1 shop. This will be our first NT Server box. I've heard conflicting stories on how the actual connection to the database takes place. My assumption is that if I'm going to have 100 people logged into the database then I would need to have 100 user accounts for these people in NT. Some people have told me that I won't need to maintain user accounts in NT. What's the true story?
  2. Assuming that my users will be logging into NT, can Oracle somehow link to NT security? I'm pretty sure that Microsoft SQL Server does this. I don't want to through a bunch more logins in front of my users.
  3. Is there any problem with having both the 32-bit and 16-bit SQL*Net on the machines at the same time? These will be Windows 95 clients. The front-end apps will be a combination of VB 4.0, Internet Explorer 3.0 and Access 2.0.

I'll probably have several more questions later....

Thanks,
Mark Received on Mon Jun 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message