Re: Fragmented tablespaces?

From: Jonathan W. Ingram <jingram_at_teleport.com>
Date: 1996/06/02

Before I could do anything about it, jwright_at_phish.nether.net () wrote:

>So I have a lot of 25 block clusters in my tablespace. My question is,
>how do I remedy this fragmented tablespace? I know exp/imp s the usual
>way to recover from fragmentation, but when I run exp on my Unix box, it
>gives me the choices of either :

>1) Entire Database, 2) Users, 3) Tablename

>But no option to export the tablespace itself.

>What are people doing when they ahve severly fragmented tablespaces like I
>do in this situation?

You will have to specify each table that exists in the problem tablespace as parameters to the export command. It's weird, but that's the only way to do it. I have heard that there are third party tools that defragment Oracle databases, but I've never seen any of them personally.

Optionally, if all the objects in the tablespace are owned by 1 user, you can export the user that owns all the objects in the tablespace.

Jonathan Received on Sun Jun 02 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message