Fragmented tablespaces?

From: <jwright_at_phish.nether.net>
Date: 1996/06/01

After recently getting a few eror messages concerning non-contigouos extents on one of my tablespaces, I did a :

select * from dba_free_space where tablespace_name = 'FASYS'

Which told me :

[SNIP]

TABLESPACE_NAME                   FILE_ID   BLOCK_ID      BYTES     BLOCKS
------------------------------ ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
FASYS                                  11       8577      51200         25
FASYS                                  11       7202      51200         25
FASYS                                  11      10127      51200         25
FASYS                                  11      10302      51200         25
FASYS                                  11      10052      51200         25
FASYS                                  11      20177      51200         25
FASYS                                  11      10252      51200         25
FASYS                                  11       6952      51200         25
FASYS                                  11       7177      51200         25
FASYS                                  11       6927      51200         25
FASYS                                  11      10327      51200         25

So I have a lot of 25 block clusters in my tablespace. My question is, how do I remedy this fragmented tablespace? I know exp/imp s the usual way to recover from fragmentation, but when I run exp on my Unix box, it gives me the choices of either :

  1. Entire Database, 2) Users, 3) Tablename

But no option to export the tablespace itself.

What are people doing when they ahve severly fragmented tablespaces like I do in this situation?

Any help is greatly appreciated, or Oracle reference document numbers, or what manuals to peruse to solve my problem.

Thanks.

-Joshua Wright Received on Sat Jun 01 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message