Re: Compare ms-sqlserver &oracle7

From: Bob Gagnon <rsgagnon_at_flash.net>
Date: 1996/05/29

Kevin Dahl wrote:

> Moshe Gottesman wrote:
> >
> > I need info that would help me decide between oracle7 and ms-sqlserver.
> > thanks, mogo
> > mogo_at_jazo.org.il
>
> Our analysis gave the edge to Oracle for use with applications that did
> more than just read the database.
>
> -Oracle's backup and recovery is superior due to timestamp recovery at
> the database level
> -Oracle has more parameters that can be adjusted for performance
> -Oracle gathers more performance information for its system catalog
> -Oracle has the lead in applications that use its database as a backend
> -Overall Oracle incorporates the industrial strength of DB2 and the best
> new features of client/server relational databases (stored procedures,
> triggers, etc)
> -Right now, SQL server is not a serious enterprise database. It is a
> good data warehouse backend (primarily query only)As a manager of Database administration and supporting SQL Server client server
applications, Sybase Client server applications, and Oracle Applications I did not see enough information to discount any database engine. To state analysts appraised and indicated the mentioned benefits shows bias. SQL Server is completely able to provide exact point in time recovery and handles OLTP well. It also provides performance gains in many environments. Depending on the size of the user community the dispersion of this community and the quality of the development team any engine can fit any application. It is usually more an examination of the corporation's I.S. Direction that makes a correct choice. Is support in place for a specified product? Do you have DBA's? Do you want to have DBA's? More questions are needed before a sophisticated answer can be generated. Received on Wed May 29 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message