Re: DBA-Certification

From: Bob Gagnon <rsgagnon_at_flash.net>
Date: 1996/05/29

Joel Garry wrote:

> In article <31A37673.45BE_at_tapestry.com> Jason Wells <jason.wells_at_tapestry.com> writes:
> >Wachs Rene wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello
> >>
> >> I'm looking for a serious DBA-Certification-Prep-Test/Exam.
> >>
> >> Has anybody an adress and/or any experiences with this DBA-Certification.
> >> What's
> >> the real value of this exam/certificate on the market ?
> >>
> >> Thanks for any advice.
> >>
> >> R. Wachs
> >
> >The value is zilch. No one, I mean NO ONE, ever asks about DBA certification. The 'Database
> >Administrator' position is still pretty young (compared to 'Priest' or even 'Electrical
> >Engineer', both of which require certification). I've been a DBA for a long time, and no one
> >has ever said "We'd take you, but since you're not certified, get lost." The question never
> >even comes up. Don't spend money to get this kind of certification.
>
> I don't agree. They'll never ask, but you _tell_ them. This is a way
> to distinguish yourself when the interview process has culled down to
> a few candidates. Not that I'm certified, mind you... I just know
> how close it can be. Clueless shops are, of course, the most likely
> to be impressed by this. There are a lot of clueless out there. That's
> what happens when you have a quickly growing user base with a trained
> worker shortage. You wind up with places that need a dba yesterday,
> because the old one got scooped up by Oracle... or whatever. :)
> Even places that know how useless pieces of paper are, often use it
> to make what is essentially a judgement call. Documentation is a
> powerful defense mechanism.
>
> jg
> >--

> >Jason Wells Tapestry Computing, Inc. Voice: 314.344.0066
> >Senior Software Developer Email:jason.wells_at_tapestry.com Fax: 314.344.0990

> --
> Joel Garry joelga_at_rossinc.com Compuserve 70661,1534
> These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc. <> <>
> %DCL-W-SOFTONEDGEDONTPUSH, Software On Edge - Don't Push. \ V /
> panic: ifree: freeing free inodes... O
I ask for certification I am the Manager of Database Administration for a Big6 firm and am leader of an exclusive group. Oracle certification was offered by the IOUG thru sylvan learning centers. I don't know if this is still offered but check with the users group. I am a certified DBA on Sybase, MS SQL Server and will complete Oracle next. Received on Wed May 29 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message