PO7 for W95

From: <perez_at_mposs1.enet.dec.com>
Date: 1996/05/24

I stuck this in the Oracle support site, but of course, I haven't heard from them, so I'll ask in here... Its long, but I don't know how to explain all these problems any shorter!

I did something silly... I took what WAS a functioning system and attempted to put a new version of Oracle on it.

I have Oracle 7.1.3 for WNT running on a dual-boot WNT 3.51 / Windows 95 on a P166 system. In NT it works fine using Designer 2000 V1.2 and Developer 2000 V1.1.

I downloaded PO7 for Windows 95 and installed it on this system to use with Designer from W95 instead. The installation went reasonably well, and I could start the ORCL database.

I created the database I need for Designer 2000 and I can't get it to start automatically. I can start it by entering the STARTUP OPEN PFILE=... command, but entering just "startup" causes the error ORA-0103: database name 'DES_DB' in control file is not 'ORACLE'

I have put "DES" in my listener.ora file as my SID, and my initialization file is INITDES.ORA in the ORAWIN95\DATABASE directory, but the database still won't start automatically. Can someone tell me EXACTLY what has to be setup WHERE to make this thing work with a database I create. Where is the SID set? Is it just whatever is in the listener.ora file?

ALSO, I cannot enter ANY string as a connect string. I went into the SQLNET EASY CONFIGURE and did an "Add Alias" using DESDB as the alias, selected TCP/IP (it says its supported), put LION (my node name) as the node, and specified "DES" as the database instance.

So, how come when I put DESDB or DES or DES_DB or ANYTHING in the connect string at login time everything
hangs for a LONG TIME followed by ORA-12545 TNS:name lookup failure.

What ELSE do I need to do? Or, is it normal not to be able to put a connect string in with this version. I read the release notes but I'm confused on that point.

BTW: This is a standalone system. It has a network card in it and its connected to other systems using the Microsoft network software, and has TCP/IP running to get to the WWW, but everthing - server and client are on ONE SINGLE Windows 95 system.

Lastly, the WHOLE PURPOSE OF DOING THIS WAS TO RUN DES2000 AND DEV2000 on this system. I have BEEN TOLD by Oracle employees that they ARE SUCCESSFULLY using DES200 V1.2 ON THIS CONFIGURATION (PO7 for W95 and DES2K V1.2) !!!!!!!!!!!

I went into WNT and did and export of the database. I also went into Designer/2000 on WNT and did an archive and export. Both went fine. Then I went back into W95 and IMPORTED the database I exported from WNT into the W95 database. Import went fine. I can go in through sqlplus and do a count(*) from RM$1 for example. When I run Designer 2000 and attempt to select an application system I get the following error:
CDI-20002 The selected application system or version is invalid.

I can't get past this point. SO, I went into the RAU and attempted to do a Re-create (recompile objects, whatever). It doesn't fail, but it doesn't make any difference either. SO, in desperation I tried an upgrade to 6.0.8. This fails with a CDI-21222 An error has occurred, please examine list file ck608cio.lis. THERE IS NO SUCH FILE ANYWHERE

Attempting to run CKRON10.EXE directly causes the error that it has to have file MFCO250.DLL to successfully run - THERE IS NO SUCH FILE ANYWHERE ON THE SYSTEM OR IN THE INSTALLATION. I copied and renamed MFC250.DLL to MFCO250.DLL but I still get errors when attempting to force the RON to run.

Not only that, but I had to run SETUP.EXE from the WINDOWS directory of the installation kit, and it MODIFIED a bunch of files that are part of Designer I presume. Now Designer doesn't work on WNT any more. I'll apparently have to do a re-install over there to get back to a working system...

Anyhow, can someone tell me EXACTLY what I have to do to get Designer 2000 and Developer 2000 to WORK WITH PO7 for W95? Fortunately, I made a tape backup of everything BEFORE I started playing so HOPEFULLY I can get back to at LEAST having WNT working, but I find it immensely frustrating that every time I try to do something as trivial as putting a different version of Oracle or a new version of Des2K on a system it takes a week, hours of pain, and requests for outside help just to get a couple products THAT ARE SUPPOSED TO WORK TOGETHER TO ACTUALLY WORK! Is there some reason why the information to do this, if it exists at all, is so difficult to find? I've read the release notes, bulletins, and whatever else I could find at the Oracle web site. If there is CLEAR, CONCISE, SIMPLE information in a form that can be understood by a reasonably competent person, I've yet to find it. So, RTFM is a fine answer IF you can point me to unequivocal information in the FM... Received on Fri May 24 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message