Re: PO7 for W95

From: <bwillden_at_flash.net>
Date: 1996/05/25

perez_at_mposs1.enet.dec.com wrote:

> I stuck this in the Oracle support site, but of course, I haven't
> heard from them, so I'll ask in here... Its long, but I don't know
> how to explain all these problems any shorter!
>
> I did something silly... I took what WAS a functioning system and
> attempted to put a new version of Oracle on it.
>
> I have Oracle 7.1.3 for WNT running on a dual-boot WNT 3.51 / Windows
> 95 on a P166 system. In NT it works fine using Designer 2000 V1.2
> and Developer 2000 V1.1.
>
> I downloaded PO7 for Windows 95 and installed it on this system to use
> with Designer from W95 instead. The installation went reasonably
> well, and I could start the ORCL database.
>
> I created the database I need for Designer 2000 and I can't get it to
> start automatically. I can start it by entering the STARTUP OPEN
> PFILE=... command, but entering just "startup" causes the error
> ORA-0103: database name 'DES_DB' in control file is not 'ORACLE'
>
> I have put "DES" in my listener.ora file as my SID, and my
> initialization file is INITDES.ORA in the ORAWIN95\DATABASE directory,
> but the database still won't start automatically. Can someone tell me
> EXACTLY what has to be setup WHERE to make this thing work with a
> database I create. Where is the SID set? Is it just whatever is in
> the listener.ora file?
>
> ALSO, I cannot enter ANY string as a connect string. I went into the
> SQLNET EASY CONFIGURE and did an "Add Alias" using
> DESDB as the alias, selected TCP/IP (it says its supported), put LION
> (my node name) as the node, and specified "DES" as the database
> instance.
>
> So, how come when I put DESDB or DES or DES_DB or ANYTHING in the
> connect string at login time everything
> hangs for a LONG TIME followed by ORA-12545 TNS:name lookup failure.
>
> What ELSE do I need to do? Or, is it normal not to be able to put a
> connect string in with this version. I read the release notes but I'm
> confused on that point.
>
> BTW: This is a standalone system. It has a network card in it and
> its connected to other systems using the Microsoft network software,
> and has TCP/IP running to get to the WWW, but everthing - server and
> client are on ONE SINGLE Windows 95 system.
>
> Lastly, the WHOLE PURPOSE OF DOING THIS WAS TO RUN
> DES2000 AND DEV2000 on this system. I have BEEN TOLD by Oracle
> employees that they ARE SUCCESSFULLY using DES200 V1.2 ON THIS
> CONFIGURATION (PO7 for W95 and DES2K V1.2) !!!!!!!!!!!
>
> I went into WNT and did and export of the database. I also went into
> Designer/2000 on WNT and did an archive and export. Both went fine.
> Then I went back into W95 and IMPORTED the database I exported from
> WNT into the W95 database. Import went fine. I can go in through
> sqlplus and do a count(*) from RM$1 for example. When I run Designer
> 2000 and attempt to select an application system I get the following
> error:
> CDI-20002 The selected application system or version is invalid.

> [...]

It may be (and I think there was an earlier mail from someone with a similar problem) that you need to change the default SID on your system.  To do this, run REGEDIT, and go into the \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE and look up the value for ORACLE_SID. Bet you 25 cents it says "orcl", so it is always reading the initORCL.ora file instead of the one you want.

I haven't tried creating a different SID under Windows 95, but I believe this could be your problem.

Bruce L. Willden
Oracle DBA
USPA&IRA
4100 South Hulen
Fort Worth, TX 76113 Received on Sat May 25 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message