Re: ODBC / Oracle Error 12203

From: <setstrom_at_mtpower.com_at_mtpower.com>
Date: 1996/05/24

In <4o2hcf$ct8_at_leto.pcc.edu>, hthompso_at_pcc.edu (Howard Thompson) writes:
>We are trying to install Sql*Net and ODBC drivers so we can use Microsoft
>Access (or similar) tool to access an Oracle database. In our first
>installation everything went smoothly. We've installed Sql*Net the Oracle
>TCP/IP adapter, and the ODBC driver found on the "Proof That You Can" CD-ROM.
>On most machines everything has gone quite well. Notice I said "most"
>
>Yesterday I installed SQL*Net (2.2.2.0.1A) and the Oracle TCP/IP adapter
>(2.2.2.0.2C). I was able to ping the database. I installed Sql*Plus and could
>connect and do a select.
>
>I then installed the ODBC (1.11.0.2). I ran the ODBC Administrator to add the
>source. When I ran the ODBC test I received an Oracle 12203 error. TNS: unable
>to connect. I went back to Sql*Plus and found I could still connect with that
>so it doesn't seem to be a TNS error.
>
>Anyone have any clues? I've included the display of ORA 12203.
>
>12203, 00000, "TNS:unable to connect to destination"
>// *Cause: Invalid TNS address supplied or destination is not listening.
>// This error can also occur because of underlying network transport
>// problems.
>// *Action: Verify that the service name you entered on the command line
>// was correct. Ensure that the listener is running at the remote node and
>// that the ADDRESS parameters specified in TNSNAMES.ORA are correct.
>// Finally, check that all Interchanges needed to make the connection are
>// up and running.

This sounds similar to a problem which I had. The fix was using the database name (that is sid.domainName) in the SQL*net Connect String field in the ODBC driver dialog box instead of the string specified on the help page (T:hastname:sid). Received on Fri May 24 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message