ODBC / Oracle Error 12203

From: Howard Thompson <hthompso_at_pcc.edu>
Date: 1996/05/23

We are trying to install Sql*Net and ODBC drivers so we can use Microsoft Access (or similar) tool to access an Oracle database. In our first installation everything went smoothly. We've installed Sql*Net the Oracle TCP/IP adapter, and the ODBC driver found on the "Proof That You Can" CD-ROM. On most machines everything has gone quite well. Notice I said "most"

Yesterday I installed SQL*Net (2.2.2.0.1A) and the Oracle TCP/IP adapter (2.2.2.0.2C). I was able to ping the database. I installed Sql*Plus and could connect and do a select.

I then installed the ODBC (1.11.0.2). I ran the ODBC Administrator to add the source. When I ran the ODBC test I received an Oracle 12203 error. TNS: unable to connect. I went back to Sql*Plus and found I could still connect with that so it doesn't seem to be a TNS error.

Anyone have any clues? I've included the display of ORA 12203.

12203, 00000, "TNS:unable to connect to destination"
// *Cause: Invalid TNS address supplied or destination is not listening.
// This error can also occur because of underlying network transport
// problems.
// *Action: Verify that the service name you entered on the command line
// was correct. Ensure that the listener is running at the remote node and
// that the ADDRESS parameters specified in TNSNAMES.ORA are correct.
// Finally, check that all Interchanges needed to make the connection are

// up and running.