Re: ODBC / Oracle Error 12203

From: Michael Krolewski <mkrolews_at_upw.com>
Date: 1996/05/24

setstrom_at_mtpower.com_at_mtpower.com wrote:

> In <4o2hcf$ct8_at_leto.pcc.edu>, hthompso_at_pcc.edu (Howard Thompson) writes:
> >We are trying to install Sql*Net and ODBC drivers so we can use Microsoft
> >Access (or similar) tool to access an Oracle database. In our first
> >installation everything went smoothly. We've installed Sql*Net the Oracle
> >TCP/IP adapter, and the ODBC driver found on the "Proof That You Can" CD-ROM.
> >On most machines everything has gone quite well. Notice I said "most"
> >
> >Yesterday I installed SQL*Net (2.2.2.0.1A) and the Oracle TCP/IP adapter
> >(2.2.2.0.2C). I was able to ping the database. I installed Sql*Plus and could
> >connect and do a select.
> >
> >I then installed the ODBC (1.11.0.2). I ran the ODBC Administrator to add the
> >source. When I ran the ODBC test I received an Oracle 12203 error. TNS: unable
> >to connect. I went back to Sql*Plus and found I could still connect with that
> >so it doesn't seem to be a TNS error.
> >
> >Anyone have any clues? I've included the display of ORA 12203.
> >
> >12203, 00000, "TNS:unable to connect to destination"
> >// *Cause: Invalid TNS address supplied or destination is not listening.
> >// This error can also occur because of underlying network transport
> >// problems.
> >// *Action: Verify that the service name you entered on the command line
> >// was correct. Ensure that the listener is running at the remote node and
> >// that the ADDRESS parameters specified in TNSNAMES.ORA are correct.
> >// Finally, check that all Interchanges needed to make the connection are
> >// up and running.
> People:

        Just finished solving this problem.(2 days of hell followed by 1 day of downloading and reinstalling)

	According to Oracle, the following system does not work
		Windows 3.1
		SQL*Net 2.2
		ODBC driver 7.1

	To solve the problem, get the free trial version of the Oracle for Workgroups for NT
	It is about 30Mbytes compressed. You can download it or call Oracle for it.

	When expanded, there is a Windows directory -- this is where the SQL Net 2.1 driver is which will
support the operation of the software.

        You need to load:

		Oracle installer
		SQL*Net 2.1.xxx
		assuming TCP/IP
		SQL*Net  TCP/IP 1.1.9xxx
		SQL*NET TCP/IP Adapater

		I also used/load the SQL*Plus 3.1 that is in that directory.

	Oracle recommended and I also downloaded the newest version of the ODBC for Windows and installed it.

	To other areas of concern -- the original installer does not generate the tnsnames.ora or the
sqlnet.ora files properly.

        Save the original files from the current trial. They are in \<oracle_home>\network\admin.

        I did delete all of the original files -- \<oracle_home> and the windows ini files ( oracle.ini, etc) however that may not be necessary.??? (Would not hurt though)

        Reset the ODBC driver and it should work.

        Happy computing!!!

Mike Krolewski