OPO question - NOT a bug rreport ;-)

From: rob_pksa <rob_pksa_at_fox.nstn.ca>
Date: 1996/05/17

I have a "master" table on the server, and a copy of that table on the client. The copy is viewed as a drop down list in a form, from which the user selects one line at a time. They can edit this copy, since they are unlikely to need all the items in it, and it is a very large list.

The master table on the server occasionally gets lines added to it. I want to notify each user, the next time they connect, that there are new lines available for their list, let them see the new lines, and let them select the ones they want to add to their copy.

The master table also can have lines deleted from it, and of course I need to notify the user of no-longer-valid lines.

I'm doing the development work in OPO, using the Blaze database as the server for development purposes. Each user will also use Blaze, only connecting to the Oracle Enterprise (maybe Workgroup) server to send some of their data to the server, and of course to be notified of changes to the master table.

In my local OPO/Blaze environment, I am,as a first step, trying to get the client copy to be updated automatically. Later, I'll work on the selection of lines to update. At the moment it will update only if I shut down the program and restart. It won't do it automatically. Does anyone have a clue as to how to go about this?

I'm using OPO 1.0.4 for now. 1.0.16 is on the way as we speak.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Rob Stevenson
Parks Canada Historic Resource Conservation Lab Dartmouth, Nova Scotia Received on Fri May 17 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message