Re: OPO question - NOT a bug rreport ;-)

From: Marcus Williford <marcus_at_eola.ao.net>
Date: 1996/05/21

rob_pksa (rob_pksa_at_fox.nstn.ca) wrote:
: In my local OPO/Blaze environment, I am,as a first step, trying to get the
: client copy to be updated automatically. Later, I'll work on the selection
: of lines to update. At the moment it will update only if I shut down the
: program and restart. It won't do it automatically. Does anyone have a clue
: as to how to go about this?
:

hmm, I think the easy solution is to make a sequence on the server for the master table table. Put a field called id in this master table. Then each time the master list is either modified, deleted, or appended to you give the id field a new id.
i.e.

id    item     deleted
1     Orlando  N
2     Tampa    N
3     Boston   N

Then to append, modify, or delete to client tables just write triggers to append to the master table.
i.e.

4     Orlando  Y  (This deletes Orlando)
5     New City N  (This adds a city)

Then all you have to do is find what your max id is on the client side, look for any thing greater on the server and process the new records. I would attach this code to openform for every form that needs this data. Since the max(id) will not take much bandwidth it can be done upon opening of every form that needs this mirror table. You can also put the local blaze max(id) in a global variable, and store it in an ini file so you don't have to hit the baze database every time you check.

Hope this helps,
write back,
later,
marcus
marcus_at_ao.net Received on Tue May 21 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message