Re: V$session.command

From: Chris John Wharton <cjw_at_morinda.cs.ntu.edu.au>
Date: 1996/05/15

In article <319759FD.1C2A_at_trw.com> John Doe <john.doe_at_trw.com> writes:
> 2 = insert
> 3 = select
>15 = alter table
>
>I am looking for a table which provides the above text which corresponds
>to the "v$session.command" numeric value. I believe that this is done by
>Oracle's Session Monitor. But is it hard coded within Session Monitor?
>Or is there a function or table which provides this?

They are all documented in one of the manuals. I'm not at work, so I can't be sure, but from memory they are listed just after the description of the v$session table in the Administrators guide.

I don't think they are available from within the catalog. I wrote a script to list all current user sessions, along with details of what they are doing. I had to hard-code the number/text mappings within the script. If you find out otherwise, let me know.

It also seems that this information is not updated to 'idle' or 'nothing' once the operation has completed. So it does not show what they are doing right *now*, just what they did last. I had hoped to be able to get a listing of every operation being performed at the instant the script was run. That's not to say that this isn't possible - just that I haven't worked out how to do it yet ;)

Chris Wharton
Part-time student:             cjw_at_it.ntu.edu.au
Oracle DBA:                    chris.wharton_at_ncom.nt.gov.au