Re: Access 95 ODBC to Oracle 7.2?

From: Chris <cjc_at_bexhillonsea.cablenet.co.uk>
Date: 1996/05/11

BEH_at_csd.uwm.edu (Barbara Hiles) wrote:

>Does anyone have this working and if so - what does it take?
>TIA - Barb

Have just finished getting link from ACCESS 95 to ORACLE 7.1.3 running using ODBC.
I needed SQL*Net V2.2 from Oracle and the ODBC driver pack from Intersolv. The intallation of these 2 at the client end was no problem, despite duff information from Oracle (one lady there said 'It won't work with V2.2! You need SQL*Net V...'. The main problem was at our HP Unix end. You will need to start a version 2 Listener to talk to the SQL*Net V2.2 package at the client end. Oracle have a faxable sheet desribing the setup of 2 files, LISTENER.ORA and TNSNAMES.ORA, study it closely. The version 2 listener uses these files. When you start the listener it should come up with the name of the services (SID) it supports. If it doesn't then you will get an error (TNS cannot resolve service name) when you try to link tables etc.
 Hope this is of some help

Chris Received on Sat May 11 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message