RE: Please recommend me a DB!

From: Antonio Rodrigues <sagpra_at_software-ag.de>
Date: 1996/05/09

In article <01bb3c81.f9740a80$6f012bc7_at_thinkpad>, lanny_at_terren.com says...

>On Sunday, May 05, 1996, Bayard wrote...
>> Is there a document available that compares and contrasts the
 different
>> packages available? I have to recommend a database for my work
 within a
>> week. The project at hand requires a linking, relational database to
 run
>> under os/2 or windows nt, preferably accessable by a large number of
 users
>> on a LAN. I'm not sure of the volume of the data involved. Easy of
 use
>> is a big plus. An accompanying programming language that works well
 is
>> also a plus. Are the programs like paradox, foxpro, and dbase for
 windows
>> pretty much all the same? when does a more powerful system like
 oracle
 or
>> sybase become necessary?
>>
>> Please email me any thoughts, it is greatly appreciated.
>>
>It is an impossible task! You are missing several criteria for you
>decision - by your post
>you indicate that you haven't done much research. Number of users and
>workstations as well as the expected price category are important
>aspects.
>
>If I had to do it in a week based on the info you gave us, I would flip
>coin between Watcom SQL and DB2. If I had more time, I would
 investigate
>offerings from Informix - they may have something which would fit the
>bill.
>
>Lanny

Have a look also to Software AG's ADABAS D. It runs on U**IX, NT, Win95 and OS/2.
Is one of the SAP R/3 supported DBMSs. So a large number of users wont be a problem

http://www.sagus.com Received on Thu May 09 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message