Re: is sqlnet installed?

From: Kurt Mehlhoff <kurt_at_PROBLEM_WITH_INEWS_GATEWAY_FILE>
Date: 1996/05/08

Kirill Richine (kirill_at_cs.ualberta.ca) wrote:
> Chris Reid (chrisr_at_mistral.co.uk) wrote:
> : Are you trying to run sqlnet v1 or v2 if so are you using
> : tcp/ip,ipx/spx or named pipes ?
> Whichever, I don't care, once I know how to tell the server is running
> sqlnet (or whatever it's called) I would be happy. I hope there is
> nothing exotic here (v2 and tcp/ip I guess).

If you are running sqlnet v2, look for a process named 'tnslsnr'. If you are running v1, look for a process named 'orasrv'.

> : it for other processes if you then want to use sqlnet you need to
> : install the 'protocol adaptor' to use the protocol you require.
> Okay, so how would I find out if a particular protocol adaptor is
> installed? Suppose I have this adaptor, how can I tell sqlnet is
> running? Any version, any protocol?

There are a couple of programs you can use to find out what libraries have been linked into your applications:

adapters <program>

	This will tell you what protocol adapters are linked into
	'program'

drivers <program>
	This will tell you what sqlnet drivers are linked into 'program'

To find out what products have been installed you can look at your orainst/unix.rgs file. This file has an entry for each product installed. Generally, when you install new products (like protocol adapters) you are prompted to re-link your programs (like the oracle server and sqlplus). The relinking will include the new adapters or drivers in your oracle programs.

You will have to re-link your own apps if you want to pick up the new libraries.

I have a couple of comments regarding your earlier post as well. The tnslistener.ora file is the configuration file for your sqlnet listener. It's location varies, as does the other sqlnet configuration files (like tnsnames.ora). You can specify their location with the environment variable TNS_ADMIN. Oracle apps will search this location first, then several other default locations.

Hope this helps.

Kurt Mehlhoff
kurt_at_infoadvan.com Received on Wed May 08 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message