Re: HELP: Is SQL*Net a required product for NT.

From: Keith Majkut <kmajkut_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1996/05/08

In article <fawive8mkxr.fsf_at_mordor.rsn.hp.com>, Shane Holder <holder_at_mordor.rsn.hp.com> wrote:

>I've installed Oracle Server for NT, and the documentation leads me to
>believe that I don't have to install SQL*Net in order for clients
>running on the SAME machine as the server to connect to the database.
>
>SQL Plus 3.2, the one that is provided in the NT installation, will
>connect to the database, but SQL Plus 3.1 (provided in the Windows
>portion) will not connect. Other applications that are "Windows/95"
>apps also refuse to connect.
32bit applications do not need to use SQLNET, they can use the local connect string of '2:' (no quotes). 32bit apps can use SQLNET if you want them to for consistency.
16bit apps must connect using sqlnet. So for this to work you have to first install the sqlnet server(listener) for NT, then the 16bit sqlnet client for the 16bit apps.

If you don't give a connect string, 2: is used as the default...