Re: Memory/Gb of Database - Any Guidelines?

From: Willy Klotz <0629791010-0001_at_t-online.de>
Date: 1996/04/24

badri_at_cc.gatech.edu (badri) wrote:

>Hi:

> I have a 18Gb database running on a 12 processor
>Sequent box. We have 754 Mb memory. What is the general
>thumb rule for memory/Gb of database? Can I assume that as
>long as we don't page excessively and disk sorts are minimal,
>our memory utilization is good and we don't need more?

No. Because oracle uses memory only inside the limits you give it in you init.ora configuration.

You may have a 200 GB database, and use 5 MB of memory for the oracle database (but performance will be slow....)

>thanks a lot,

>-Badri

>p.s: I know that this question does not have an
>accurate numeric answer. What I am looking for is
>a range.

It depends heavily on the type of application and the number of users. I am currently running a 6 GB database with 80 concurrent users on a 256 MB machine - and the performance is excellent.

Willy Klotz

Willys Mail     FidoNet   2:2474/117  2:2474/118
                Mailbox: analog 06297 910104
                         ISDN   06297 910105
                Internet: 0629791010_at_t-online.de
                ->   No Request from 06.00 to 08.00 <-