Re: Memory/Gb of Database - Any Guidelines?

From: Jay Mehta <jvmehta_at_mra.ffx.mobil.com>
Date: 1996/04/23

badri_at_cc.gatech.edu (badri) wrote:
> I have a 18Gb database running on a 12 processor
>Sequent box. We have 754 Mb memory. What is the general
>thumb rule for memory/Gb of database? Can I assume that as
>long as we don't page excessively and disk sorts are minimal,
>our memory utilization is good and we don't need more?

I would start with operating system utilities to see if excessive pagings is occuring or there are free memory on the system during peak hours. Using o/s utilities, our UNIX administrator has grouped memory requirements and usage by application.

Then I would look at Oracle database statistics including db_buffers hit ratio, sort area hit ratio and library cache hit ratio to see if they are within the acceptable range. If you have free memory, and these ratios are not within the acceptable range, then you might want to increase init.ora parameters to imporve database performance.

By the way, I wouldn't mind having some additional memory on the system!

Jay Mehta
Oracle DBA/Consultant
Mobil Oil Received on Tue Apr 23 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message