Re: Working with U.S. Zip Codes

From: Amit Bansal <amit_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/04/23

In <317AD8CF.6CB1_at_american.edu> Jessica <je8468a_at_american.edu> writes:

>I am currently working on an application (to be run under an ORACLE7
>database) which requires me to find the state for a specific U.S. zip
>code.
>
>I've already downloaded a list of all U.S. zip codes from a web site and
>have stored it in a base table. The list has over 33,000 entries of zip
>codes, cities, and states. But rather than having to search the entire
>table each time, I'm wondering if anyone is aware of a more optimal
>solution for such task.
>
>I was told by someone that using the first 3 digits of the zip code, one
>could find the state in which the zip code resides. Is this actually
>true? If it is, this would probably reduce the list to < 1,000 entries.
>
>I would appreciate any help on this from anyone doing a similar task.
>
>Thanks.
>-- Kevin

I am currently developing a system and storing just the first digit of the zip code in the states table. We use this information while entering the zip code for an address, but state code is entered first. I am told by my users that each states zip starts with a specific number ( like 9 for CA) and I am using that as the validation criteria. I am not sure if the reverse is true i.e given the first digit, if we can find the equivalent state codes. Give a call to Postal Services, they may have an answer.

Amit Bansal Received on Tue Apr 23 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message