Re: Working with U.S. Zip Codes

From: Richard Frazier <rfrazier_at_mailstorm.dot.gov>
Date: 1996/04/22

With an index on the zipcode table, you should not have any problems. I have azip code table about the same size and my queries run just fine. Just make sure you have the zipcode index on any table that needs to crss ref your master zip table.....

rick

Jessica (je8468a_at_american.edu) wrote:
: I am currently working on an application (to be run under an ORACLE7
: database) which requires me to find the state for a specific U.S. zip
: code.

: I've already downloaded a list of all U.S. zip codes from a web site and
: have stored it in a base table. The list has over 33,000 entries of zip
: codes, cities, and states. But rather than having to search the entire
: table each time, I'm wondering if anyone is aware of a more optimal
: solution for such task.

: I was told by someone that using the first 3 digits of the zip code, one
: could find the state in which the zip code resides. Is this actually
: true? If it is, this would probably reduce the list to < 1,000 entries.

: I would appreciate any help on this from anyone doing a similar task.

: Thanks.
: -- Kevin