Slooow Import

From: -J.MIKLEWICZ <jmjm_at_hogpf.ho.att.com>
Date: 1996/04/15

I am trying to import a table wit > 200,000 rows. The import takes about 2 hours. I am using the "commit = y" option to import because without it I run out of rollback. The progress of import with commit = y is CONSIDERABLY slower. I also noticed that none of my rollback segments were extending past their optimum setting of 200K so I tried increasing the buffer size.

The manual says that commit = y specifies that import should commit after each array insert. The buffer option states that the BUFFER (buffer size) parameter determines the number of rows in the array inserted by import. It also says that the default buffer size is documented in my pplatform dependent doc, but I've been unable to locate it in the doc. I've tried setting buffer to 2000000 and 4000000 with no increase in speed or rollback usage. Are these numbers so high that import ignores them, maybe?

It seems to me that based on the doc increasing the buffer size should decrease the number of commits performed and should therefore spped things up at least a little. Am I on the wrong track here? If so what's the right track, other than adding more rollback?

Thanks,

| Joe Miklewicz 908-949-3061 jmjm_at_hogpa.att.com |