Re: SHUTDOWN: waiting for logins to complete

From: Bill Manry <BManry_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/04/05

vermaat_at_gemini.tfdl.agro.nl wrote:
[...]
>True, but keep in mind: users connected through SQL*Net are NOT recognized as
>USERS by ORACLE ... Therefore, better use SHUTDOWN ABORT .

SQL*Net clients are not generally distinguished from local clients in Oracle. Your SQL*Net users may not be represented by a specific local OS process if you are using Multithreaded Server but that probably is not an issue in SHUTDOWN processing. I suspect the difference in SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE's handling of SQL*Net clients has to do with the fact that the instance is waiting on completion of a network read for each (idle) client. This behavior may vary by platform and networking protocol.

/b

--
Bill Manry - Mainframe & Integration Technologies - Oracle Corp. USA
The above statements and opinions are my own and do not