Re: Database Replication on Oracle

From: Jim Kennedy <odysscci_at_teleport.com>
Date: 1996/04/02

In article <31585726.6216_at_xs4all.nl> "R.A. van Geleuken" <roald_at_xs4all.nl> writes:
>From: "R.A. van Geleuken" <roald_at_xs4all.nl>
>Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
>Subject: Re: Database Replication on Oracle
>Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 21:44:22 +0100

>Yao-Wen Stephen Tsai wrote:
>>
>> I am writing a report regarding database replication. I am wondering if anyone can provide detail
>> on how the Oracle deal with the replication process. Also, how does is solve the problem on update
>> conflict?
>>
>> Thanks for the help
>>
>> Yao-Wen Stephen Tsai

>Although I can't tell you from my own experience, I may be able to shed some light on the replication by Oracle.
>As far as I have heard, Oracle uses time-stamps for checking if a table has changed. If it has, it sends the whole table to the
>replication-site. Might be some burden on the network/modem line if the table is somewhat large!

>If anyone has more info on this, please let me know, I'd like to be corrected on this particular subject!

>Roald.
>--

>| R.A. van Geleuken roald_at_xs4all.nl |

>| There's no such thing as impossibility, only |
>| extremely low chance |

Actually it knows if a row changed because (site A changed a row and it gets sent to Site B.) the new and old values of the row get sent. Thus if the row at Site B does not match the old values then there is an update conflict. You have to pick (or write) an update conflict resolution method. There are many to chose from.

Jim Kennedy Received on Tue Apr 02 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message