Re: Porting C/Sybase to Oracle

From: Eric Friedman <efried_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1996/03/22

Stan Sulsky <sjs_at_curtech.com> wrote:

>mjr_at_netcom.com (Mark Rosenbaum) wrote:
>>Does anyone have any suggestions on porting dblib? calls from
>>C/Sybase to Oracle? I think dblib is an Oracle Call-level Interface
>>(OCI) type interface.

>Don't even think about it. :))

Well, it wouldn't really be a port - it would essentially writing a new set of interfaces. Call level interfaces are proprietary.

>Seriously, since you're considering doing this, you ought to consider
>that you may want to do it again someday. So, instead, go out and
>buy the middleware product of your choice and port to that instead.
>That way you'll only have to endure the pain once.

Or use ESQL - in Oracle's case, Pro*C. There is a bit of overhand, but if you restrict yourself to Standard SQL, the port isn't too bad.

Eric Friedman Internet: efried_at_mindspring.com Received on Fri Mar 22 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message